A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This is the old forum. The new forum is at https://discourse.pluckeye.net/ .

#1 2021-07-14 09:30:53

gurt

Is it possible to allow a website for limited amount of time?

Apologies if this has been asked/answered before.

Is it possible to give a website and allowance. For example limiting access to keybr.com for a maximum of 30 minutes a day. Without having to specify when those 30 minutes are.

Cheers.

#2 2021-07-14 09:56:45

sonicsid

Re: Is it possible to allow a website for limited amount of time?

Funny - I was thinking of such a feature merely half an hour ago. Coincidences intrigue me.

I am not aware of such a time limit feature in Pluck(eye). I use the Limit extension (published by Freedom) for that purpose.

Assuming you're on Chrome:
1. Get the Limit extension from the Chrome Webstore.
2. Allow keybr.com (for example) on Pluckeye.
3. Set a time limit for keybr.com using Limit.
4. Click on the Limit extension's button, click on Open Settings, and block the Settings page using Pluckeye.

This way, you'll need to wait until your Pluckeye delay expires to alter the time limit for that website.

One workaround is to remove the Limit extension altogether from your browser. I've also blocked the Chrome Webstore, so whenever I have an urge to remove that extension I think of how inconvenient it would be to first allow the Webstore, then reinstall Limit and set it all up again etc etc and it proves to be enough to deter me.

Leechblock NG is a much more customisable extension and harder to bypass. You might want to check that out instead. I imagine the process would be similar to the one above.

Last edited by sonicsid (2021-08-04 07:33:06)

#3 2021-07-14 10:11:29

gurt

Yes coincidences are indeed strange things, all those particles creating the same patterns at the same time over great distances. Who would have thunk it! big_smile

Thank you for taking the time to reply and providing me with a solution. It is very much appreciated. This combination should be troublesome enough for me that I won't bother trying to circumvent it.

It's a feature I would love to see implemented in pluck if possible, it's one of the only things I miss from Cold Turkey, since switching to Linux.

#4 2021-07-14 10:40:56

sonicsid

An alternative, relying solely on Pluck:

Keep keybr.com allowed. Suppose it's Monday and you plan to start using keybr.com at 9 am. Reminded of the preciousness of your time, you decide to spend only 30 minutes on that site and thus right before jumping onto that site, you implement :

pluck when M930-24 block keybr.com  

Check https://manual.pluckeye.net/hrs3.org to see what letters and numbers to use for "when" rules.

If you don't want to have to remove the block rule before the next Monday comes around, lest you want to use that site at a different time that day, use the raw format (given at the last of the link above) instead to block the site only for the remainder of that individual date.

The only downside to this method is that it relies on your being conscious enough to add the block rule before beginning to use the site you wish to limit.

gurt wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply and providing me with a solution.

Happy to help. Keep Plucking! smile

Last edited by sonicsid (2021-07-14 10:43:38)

#5 2021-07-14 10:57:25

gurt

Thank you again, I have already implemented your previous solution.

It's ideal for managing useful site's that have value for limited amount of time each day but that I can easily get distracted by for longer periods of time. Pluck alone in this instance would not work for me, there would be too much micromanagement involved and I would either routinely forget or just grow tired of setting rules and not bother.

Option A. is perfect. Thank you again.

Board footer