A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-11 10:54:17

Andrysoft

Allow some apps/softwares on NHB version

Hello there,
I want to ask you if is it possible to allow some apps to connect on a computer (Windows 10 Home) with Pluckeye NHB installed? and how?
Thanks

#2 2018-04-12 09:14:58

RNYC

Re: Allow some apps/softwares on NHB version

Unfortunately, the known issues page tells us:

On Windows and Mac OS X, per-program rules do not yet have any effect.

#3 2018-04-12 19:57:30

Andrysoft

RNYC wrote:

Unfortunately, the known issues page tells us:

On Windows and Mac OS X, per-program rules do not yet have any effect.

OK, thanks

#4 2018-11-15 22:37:45

carl

Paging all pluckers...

Per-program rules do work now, at least on Windows 10. And as far as I can see, this issue has been removed from the known issues page.

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro, after mainly using Linux and Windows 7 computers for the last number of years. I was alarmed at all of the things that a regular Level 2 pluckeye installation did not block: Windows Store app, Movies and TV app, and even web results in windows search. I urgently needed to block all of these things.

I opted to enable nhb as a last resort, even though I assumed it would cripple my ability to use some of the programs I needed most. After enabling nhb, I discovered that I could still add a program rule to allow Teamviewer, one of the programs I use constantly!

Just wanting to get the word out the nhb can help to lock down Windows 10 (which seems to me to require way too much internet connectivity for the system to work). And you can use per-program rules with nhb.

#5 2018-11-20 10:44:04

Andrysoft

carl wrote:

Paging all pluckers...

Per-program rules do work now, at least on Windows 10. And as far as I can see, this issue has been removed from the known issues page.

I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 10 Pro, after mainly using Linux and Windows 7 computers for the last number of years. I was alarmed at all of the things that a regular Level 2 pluckeye installation did not block: Windows Store app, Movies and TV app, and even web results in windows search. I urgently needed to block all of these things.

I opted to enable nhb as a last resort, even though I assumed it would cripple my ability to use some of the programs I needed most. After enabling nhb, I discovered that I could still add a program rule to allow Teamviewer, one of the programs I use constantly!

Just wanting to get the word out the nhb can help to lock down Windows 10 (which seems to me to require way too much internet connectivity for the system to work). And you can use per-program rules with nhb.

Thank you very much!!!!

#6 2019-02-09 10:15:32

Andrysoft

Is there a way to block only "Microsoft Store" and allow everything else on windows 10?

#7 2019-02-09 18:43:52

RNYC

Based on my testing of Win 10, I found that the only way to have Pluckeye block the apps is to enable the NHB option...and that blocks all of them.

Apparently you can use PowerShell to delete the apps you don't want, including the store. But since PowerShell can also re-install them, that is probably not the solution you want.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-to … tall-them/

#8 2019-02-09 22:51:33

carl

I agree with RNYC that it is not possible to NHB everything except a specific program. But you could NHB everything, and then whiteout all the programs you need most.

pluck add "Program MyProgram whiteout"

Alternatively, you could set pluckeye to periodically, say, once a week, unset NHB for a half hour or so. Then you could access Microsoft Store, update other programs, or whatever you need.

Board footer