A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-09 10:03:58

Yazly
Member
Registered: 2019-12-09
Posts: 3

Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

Hello everyone,

I have configured pluckeye to block everything by default. I would like to use the Onetime command to allow all access to the internet except for certain websites but I am not able to find a way to do that.

If I do a "Onetime whiteout" then add multiple "Onetime deny" for each website I would like to block, I find I still have access to the whole internet.

Is there anyway to do this?


lumber

Offline

#2 2019-12-09 11:04:36

RNYC
Moderator
Registered: 2017-01-14
Posts: 200

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

I have the latest (experimental) version of Pluckeye, and trying to add the rules as you suggest is causing an error. So I am guessing that there is an interplay with the rules that Pluckeye is having trouble resolving.

We'll have to wait for Jon to chime in.

Here is some output for Jon from Pluckeye 0.99.11 for consideration.
(NOTE - These commands will not work for others until the experimental version is publicly available.)

somebody@this-hp-pavilion:~$ pluck add block
somebody@this-hp-pavilion:~$ pluck add onetime now+30m whiteout
somebody@this-hp-pavilion:~$ pluck add onetime now+30min deny whitehouse.gov
0d57:9: fd3ac4de BAD_CALL
052e:28: fd3ac4de WARNING 0x30d57009
059c:8: fd3ac4de BAD_CALL
03b4:198: fd3ac4de WARNING failed to parse when:    action:block    host:whitehouse.gov
Segmentation fault

- - -
The error becomes a rule??

$pluck export
[blah, blah]
block port 554
03b4:198: fd3ac4de WARNING failed to parse when:    action:block    host:whitehouse.gov
when 20191209055534-20191209062534 allow everything

Offline

#3 2019-12-09 21:29:46

jon
Administrator
Registered: 2017-01-10
Posts: 208

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

Yazly wrote:

I have configured pluckeye to block everything by default. I would like to use the Onetime command to allow all access to the internet except for certain websites but I am not able to find a way to do that.

If I do a "Onetime whiteout" then add multiple "Onetime deny" for each website I would like to block, I find I still have access to the whole internet.
Is there anyway to do this?

You almost certainly don't want "whiteout" as that means, "Allow everything, regardless of whether it has a block rule or not."  In other words, if you don't want the entire Internet, do not use "whiteout".

As for allowing everything except for certain websites.  What I would recommend depends on how many websites are in your certain websites list.

Also, what I would recommend depends on your operating system.

https://forum.pluckeye.net/viewtopic.php?id=2

On any OS, you could use a hack such as the following, where the major top-level domains are allowed.

pluck add "block badsite1.com"
pluck add "block badsite2.com"
. . .
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow com"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow org"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow net"
. . .

Offline

#4 2019-12-09 21:49:03

jon
Administrator
Registered: 2017-01-10
Posts: 208

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

RNYC wrote:

pluck add onetime now+30min block whitehouse.gov

That's an invalid onetime (should be now+30m, not now+30min), but ...

Segmentation fault

... it shouldn't crash.  To avoid the error on your machine:

pluck del "onetime now+30min block whitehouse.gov"

Thanks; I'll look at the seg fault.

Offline

#5 2019-12-10 10:18:20

RNYC
Moderator
Registered: 2017-01-14
Posts: 200

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

Jon: Thanks for catching my mistake there. Haste encourages error.

Offline

#6 2019-12-10 10:21:00

Yazly
Member
Registered: 2019-12-09
Posts: 3

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

jon wrote:
Yazly wrote:

I have configured pluckeye to block everything by default. I would like to use the Onetime command to allow all access to the internet except for certain websites but I am not able to find a way to do that.

If I do a "Onetime whiteout" then add multiple "Onetime deny" for each website I would like to block, I find I still have access to the whole internet.
Is there anyway to do this?

You almost certainly don't want "whiteout" as that means, "Allow everything, regardless of whether it has a block rule or not."  In other words, if you don't want the entire Internet, do not use "whiteout".

As for allowing everything except for certain websites.  What I would recommend depends on how many websites are in your certain websites list.

Also, what I would recommend depends on your operating system.

https://forum.pluckeye.net/viewtopic.php?id=2

On any OS, you could use a hack such as the following, where the major top-level domains are allowed.

pluck add "block badsite1.com"
pluck add "block badsite2.com"
. . .
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow com"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow org"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow net"
. . .

I am on Mac OS
I tried what you have suggested but it doesn't seem to work.


lumber

Offline

#7 2019-12-10 18:44:16

jon
Administrator
Registered: 2017-01-10
Posts: 208

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

Yazly wrote:

I tried what you have suggested but it doesn't seem to work.

That is too vague to respond to effectively.

On macOS, assuming you care mainly about browser context, I might instead do the following.

pluck add "onetime now+10m allow application/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow audio/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow image/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow text/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow video/"

You could put something like that in a script and execute it for 10 minutes of access.

But whether it would work or not depends on your current settings.  Have you cleared settings?  Have you retained the default blocking of images?

If you want more help, I suggest you register on https://u.pluckeye.net/ so your settings are clear.

Offline

#8 2019-12-11 10:59:12

Yazly
Member
Registered: 2019-12-09
Posts: 3

Re: Allow everything but certain websites using Onetime.

jon wrote:
Yazly wrote:

I tried what you have suggested but it doesn't seem to work.

That is too vague to respond to effectively.

On macOS, assuming you care mainly about browser context, I might instead do the following.

pluck add "onetime now+10m allow application/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow audio/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow image/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow text/"
pluck add "onetime now+10m allow video/"

You could put something like that in a script and execute it for 10 minutes of access.

But whether it would work or not depends on your current settings.  Have you cleared settings?  Have you retained the default blocking of images?

If you want more help, I suggest you register on u.pluckeye.net so your settings are clear.

I am sorry I am not very familiar with all this. For now, I have only made one change to the default configuration which is adding a block rule in order to block access to all the internet by default.

I am using a delay of 30 minutes and hoping to be able to allow access for all websites but few ones that I can specify during a certain interval of time, just like the Onetime rule is supposed to work.

I've tried what you have suggested and it's still not working consistently, although it does allow all websites it does block images on some for example. And the block rules that I added after that haven't worked all of them.


lumber

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB