A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-05-08 13:08:33

RNYC

Search Engines which Enforce Safe Search

[updated]

As noted by others, sometimes users want to enforce a safe search environment. While Pluckeye cannot do this directly, it can be used to block any search engines which are troublesome, and the users can perform their searches at web sites which do enforce a safe search environment.

The purpose of this thread is to share web search sites which enforce a safe search environment. Feel free to add the ones you use or find.

SwissCows A Switzerland-based "Family Friendly" search engine.

The following sites return their results from Google, so blocking Google in Pluckeye also blocks their search results:

KidzSearch Heavily oriented toward young students.

SafeSearch The home page looks juvenile; the results page looks more googlish.

#2 2017-05-08 14:40:55

condol

Re: Search Engines which Enforce Safe Search

The one I found, which I think is less promising than KidzSearch (but it uses the same strict level filtering of google safe search, as KidzSearch does as well) is:  dinosearch.com

It has a more barebones interface which is a plus, but it only has pages and images, so it isn't as comprehensive as KidzSearch.

#3 2017-05-08 15:15:16

condol

Tried the scheme now and unfortunately it didn't work.

Because those search engines use google custom search engine (which was a plus in my book!) they stop working once Pluckeye denies www.google.com

I guess I'll try that SwissCows.

#4 2017-05-08 18:40:54

RNYC

Sorry about that. I was hoping without testing that they would do their processing behind the scenes and return the results from their own domain. (I have seen other sites do that, but they don't enforce Safe Search so will not work in this case.)

#5 2017-05-08 18:54:14

RNYC

This search site: ahdle.com gives website results but not images when I had Google, Bing, and Yahoo all blocked by Pluckeye. Their website says:

Why Ahdle?
Family and Kids friendly
Ahdle uses advanced filters to filter out results that are not suitable for kids and families. The filters are permanent and cannot be turned off.
The Best Results
Ahdle brings together the best results from the best search engines, so you absolutely get the best results. We also don't try to hide (or claim credit for) where the results came from or change the sorting in any way.

#6 2017-05-08 19:46:40

condol

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've tried it now, and swiss cows earlier today, and the results aren't so good. I test with searching for some programming libraries, and see how much api documentation I get for testing.

I guess there's nothing quite like Google after all huh?

#7 2017-05-08 22:58:19

RNYC

Is having a trusted friend install a browser extension that enforces safe search an option? I know that (in Firefox) Procon Latte Content Filter will add password protection to the extensions so that changes cannot be made. And the Safe-search extension seems to enforce the safe search. (I did some limited testing in Google.)

#8 2017-05-09 07:10:33

condol

I use Chromium. I have too many extensions that don't have a suitable alternative to make the conversion now.
Even if there was an extension like Procon Latte for Chromium, I can just go to the settings and disable the "allow in Incognito", which I assume will disable that enforcing.

In windows I have k9 which enforces safe search across browsers that is protected by a password just like you suggested. In linux I have yet to find an equivalent that isn't browser-based and thus can simply be disabled in Incognito.

#9 2017-05-11 16:25:58

jon
Administrator

#10 2017-07-20 12:43:29

ihale

Startpage
Y6Menx6.png

#11 2017-07-20 16:38:45

condol

This will have to wait 2 hours, as I didn't have to allow photos on pluckeye.net until now tongue
So I will see the image later!

#12 2017-08-30 07:39:25

Orgalili

http://search.clearch.org/

the image search is very good , but if not enough you can block the images section
http://search.clearch.org/?a=images&q=

Board footer