A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-19 11:27:13

RNYC

Re: [SOLVED] How to download Steam games on Windows?

If you can put the word "block" in front of all of your steam IPs, then here are some general instructions for importing a list of rules. (Get rid of the "clear" command and it should not overwrite your existing rules.)

http://www.pluckeye.net/recipes/windows/all-access.txt (Back off one level to see a list of other recipe examples.)

If I have ever tried blacklisting Edge/IE I don't recall what the results were. But they are so tightly integrated into the OS that this probably won't work:

pluck add "Program iexplorer.exe blackout"

(Should that be iexplore.exe? I'm on my linux computer at the moment...)

You are not the first person to encounter problems with Steam.

#2 2019-07-19 16:28:40

jon
Administrator

RNYC wrote:

You are not the first person to encounter problems with Steam.

Indeed.

If a Steam user would take the time to write extremely clear instructions on reproducing their issue, that would help.

I don't use Steam, I don't have a clue, and I'm extremely busy.

#3 2019-07-24 20:42:47

jon
Administrator

asendedtrunks wrote:

Not sure why my posts have gone missing.

A simple-minded automated anti-spam process is probably to blame.  See https://forum.pluckeye.net/misc.php?action=rules .

#4 2019-07-26 05:12:17

jon
Administrator

Unfortunately, your instructions were removed again because "lumber" wasn't in your profile when you posted urls in them. :-/

On the positive side, the forum is no longer being overrun by spam...

#5 2019-07-27 19:47:35

asendedtrunks

Luckily I still had the tab open and could go back in my history to retrieve the post:

There are a number of free to play games on Steam that you could download to test out; I'll try to list instructions to reproduce the issue as clear as I can, and I appreciate that you are busy and any time you can provide to look into this issue.

Ensure following entries are added to pluckeye, not sure if reboot is required or not. I have had seemingly random success with Steam allowing me to login after setting level 2, however dropping to level 1 and back to 2 again will usually fix it after a few tries.

pluck add "program steamwebhelper.exe whiteout"
pluck add "allow steampowered.com"
pluck add "allow steamcommunity.com"
pluck add "allow steamgames.com"
pluck add "allow steamusercontent.com"
pluck add "allow steamcontent.com"
pluck add "allow steamstatic.com"
pluck add "allow akamaihd.net"
pluck set level 2

Allow the IP addresses here. I converted these to individual IPs as I'm not sure if Pluckeye supports CIDR format, overall it converts to 19200 IP addresses, which is quite a large list to manage. (I can upload this list if it's helpful though the error still occurs the same with these addresses allowed and without.)

1) Follow the process to create a Steam account at https://store.steampowered.com/join.
2) Install Steam from https://store.steampowered.com/about/.
3) Run Steam on your PC and login with the account created in 1).
4) On the navigation labels at the top of Steam click on "STORE".
5) On the store home page there is a "Browse by Genre" section on the sub menus running down the left side of the page, where you can navigate to "Free to Play" games.
6) Choose a Free to Play game (I recommend something like Dota 2 as it's multi platform {though I'm not sure if that matters just for testing downloading}).
7) Press "Play Game" on the page for the game selected and follow the instructions to install the game.
8) An error message about not finding the download source will appear.

lumber

#6 2019-08-02 14:13:34

FaithMonax

I'm relatively new to pluckeye (2 months) and I've been loving it so far (thanks Jon!)

I thought all my Steam-related problems were solved before this week, but I've been having this issue with downloads also. It seems like Steam can't find servers to download the data from, so it prevents you from loading any game that requires a download.

The exact message I get is "An error occured while updating [Game Name] (content servers unreachable)".

Alternatively, after trying a couple of times, I get:

"An error occurred while updating [Game Name] (no internet connection) :
No Download Source"

The game in question is Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, but I'm having the same issue with any games that involve downloads (Slay the Spire, Tabletopia, etc.)

Last edited by FaithMonax (2019-08-02 14:17:52)

#7 2019-08-02 16:09:49

jon
Administrator

Thanks for the info.  This is on my radar.  But instead of simply fixing it, I'm going to try implementing something in a dev version of Pluckeye, and then posting the results.  Might be a week or two, but I should have more info soon.

#8 2019-09-01 04:31:13

jon
Administrator

Should be fixed in v0.98.14.

Steam users may want to do:

pluck add "program steamwebhelper.exe whiteout"

Steam users who want to game less may instead want something like:

pluck add "sometimes MTW10-11 program steamwebhelper.exe whiteout"

Steam users who use NHB may also want:

pluck add "program Steam.exe whiteout"

Board footer