A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-16 07:02:44

KSaddlr

How to find out how long is remaining on delay?

Hello everyone,

Once again a big thank you to Jon for his diligence and help so far in using Pluckeye, and to all the moderators of this forum for keeping things running smoothly. Found this place a huge help already and Pluckeye is helping me get to my longest streak rebooting from PMO in over a year.

My question is the following, and twin-linked (props to you guys who get the reference):

1. Is there any command or way to see how long is remaining until the delay runs out (e.g. how long until the 'pluck rm block' takes effect and removes a blanket block of all the internet except whitelisted sites)?

2. Does going into Pluckeye settings (or doing the equivalent in a cmd console) and changing the delay time (again) reset the time until the old delay expires and 'restart the clock', so to speak?

My concern comes from the fact that Pluckeye is blocking and/or logging me out of certain websites which I was unable to foresee at the time I was putting together my essential site whitelist, or that I thought I had already whitelisted properly. An example is with the University submission system 'Turnitin' - I access this through the portal system 'Blackboard', which I have whitelisted and can access. Before Pluckeye there would be no login window for Turnitin, and you could submit your work in a jiffy. Now when I go into the submission page a window within the page appears, and I seem to have been logged out of Turnitin despite my best efforts.

With a few important online examinations next week it is crucial that I can submit my responses properly, and currently (as far as I know) the blanket block ('pluck add block') will be able to be removed next week when the delay changes from the 7 days I have it currently set to (yes Jon, I know you told me to choose a shorter delay - I found that having one in the range of hours left me vulnerable, and I know now I have overreached with 7 days - so when this expires I will be selecting one in the 2 day range) to 10 seconds (to allow me to make changes with immediate effect). If the delay has been extended until after next Thursday I will need to take drastic measures to remove the blanket block, because if I cannot submit my work I will fail this semester.

Apologies if this comes across as rambling somewhat, and I appreciate the responses!

Last edited by KSaddlr (2020-05-16 07:05:34)

lumber <- do not remove me without reading forum rules

#2 2020-05-16 09:10:35

RNYC

Re: How to find out how long is remaining on delay?

When you give the command

pluck export

your pending rules are at the bottom of the list, and they start with the # character.

in Pluckeye 0.99+ you would be looking for the the line that says

# YYYY-DD-MM HH:MM:SS - block otherwise

I ran an experiment, and changing my delay did not change the time that the block was removed. Output below.

$pluck export | grep \#     <--- A way on Linux to see only the pending commands
# 2020-05-16 05:02:26 - block otherwise      <-- When my block expires
$ pluck delay 4m   <-- This is increasing my delay
$ pluck export | grep \#
# 2020-05-16 05:02:26 - block otherwise  <-- Time and date did not change
$ pluck delay 0  <--- This is decreasing my delay
$ pluck export | grep \#
# 2020-05-16 05:05:22 + delay 0   
# 2020-05-16 05:05:22 - delay 240
# 2020-05-16 05:02:26 - block otherwise   <-- Time and date did not change 

#3 2020-05-16 11:58:40

KSaddlr

RNYC wrote:

When you give the command

pluck export

your pending rules are at the bottom of the list, and they start with the # character.

in Pluckeye 0.99+ you would be looking for the the line that says

# YYYY-DD-MM HH:MM:SS - block otherwise

I ran an experiment, and changing my delay did not change the time that the block was removed. Output below.

$pluck export | grep \#     <--- A way on Linux to see only the pending commands
# 2020-05-16 05:02:26 - block otherwise      <-- When my block expires
$ pluck delay 4m   <-- This is increasing my delay
$ pluck export | grep \#
# 2020-05-16 05:02:26 - block otherwise  <-- Time and date did not change
$ pluck delay 0  <--- This is decreasing my delay
$ pluck export | grep \#
# 2020-05-16 05:05:22 + delay 0   
# 2020-05-16 05:05:22 - delay 240
# 2020-05-16 05:02:26 - block otherwise   <-- Time and date did not change 

Hello RNYC, and thank you for such a comprehensive response. Does the YYYY-DD-MM show when the change will take effect or when they were put into place? Because on 2020-05-15 (yesterday) I allowed example.site, but it is shown in the cmd console as being 2020-05-20.

#4 2020-05-16 17:47:01

RNYC

The pending rule line shows when that rule is scheduled to go into effect.

#5 2020-05-17 09:08:52

KSaddlr

RNYC wrote:

The pending rule line shows when that rule is scheduled to go into effect.

Roger that. Thank you. As a final aside, does Pluckeye operate in one particular timezone or does it attune to that of the device it is on?

#6 2020-05-18 19:58:03

jon
Administrator

KSaddlr wrote:

Roger that. Thank you. As a final aside, does Pluckeye operate in one particular timezone or does it attune to that of the device it is on?

The timezone of the device is used for hrs3 rules.  If your timezone changes, Pluckeye will "slide" the hrs3 windows toward the new timezone at a rate governed by your delay.

Board footer