A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-13 05:18:03

Quenz
Member
Registered: 2020-01-13
Posts: 5

[SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

macOS 10.14.6
Pluckeye 0.98.15
Firefox 72.0.1 & Chrome 79.0.3945.117

I tried allowing Youtube from the menu, as well as via

pluck add "Allow youtube.com"

and for www.youtube.com and googlevideo.com

Youtube works fine in Chrome, but not Firefox.

Edit, solution:

The culprit was FoxyProxy Standard configured with my VPN's SOCKS5 proxy. My VPN was also running the regular way on my system. I was fooled because I assumed extension didn't have any effect on the browser in 'private windows' unless specifically allowed to, but this one did.

Thank you jon and RNYC for your patience and help troubleshooting! Muchly appreciated. smile

Last edited by Quenz (2020-01-16 23:19:00)


lumber

Offline

#2 2020-01-13 09:56:17

RNYC
Moderator
Registered: 2017-01-14
Posts: 271

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

Hmmm. That is certainly not the expected behavior.

Are you on Level 1 or 2?
When you try to view a video in Youtube on Firefox and it fails, does the Pluckeye history button give any insights?

Offline

#3 2020-01-14 08:33:54

Quenz
Member
Registered: 2020-01-13
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

Level 1 as well as 2.

Seems to be all allowed check marks relating to youtube when I check the history.


lumber

Offline

#4 2020-01-14 12:07:05

RNYC
Moderator
Registered: 2017-01-14
Posts: 271

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

The best I can suggest now is to follow these instructions and send the results in for analysis.

Offline

#5 2020-01-14 23:28:28

jon
Administrator
Registered: 2017-01-10
Posts: 344

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

Quenz wrote:

Level 1 as well as 2.

Seems to be all allowed check marks relating to youtube when I check the history.

I suggest you use a single tab, restart the browser, visit youtube.com, then check the Pluckeye history page, filtering by "blocked".

Offline

#6 2020-01-15 03:02:29

Quenz
Member
Registered: 2020-01-13
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

RNYC wrote:

The best I can suggest now is to follow these instructions and send the results in for analysis.

I've done this, and I opened the .out file in a text editor, but it's just all garbled. Just worried about it including any personal information before I send it. Can you tell me how to view it?

jon wrote:

I suggest you use a single tab, restart the browser, visit youtube.com, then check the Pluckeye history page, filtering by "blocked".

Done, but nothing came up when I filtered for "blocked".

Also, I did try viewing in incognito mode, in case it was any of my other extensions conflicting, same issue.


lumber

Offline

#7 2020-01-15 17:37:02

jon
Administrator
Registered: 2017-01-10
Posts: 344

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

Quenz wrote:

I opened the .out file in a text editor, but it's just all garbled. Just worried about it including any personal information before I send it. Can you tell me how to view it?

You can not view it.  I'm not interested in your personal information, but if you don't feel comfortable sending a sysinspect snapshot, you need not.

Quenz wrote:

Done, but nothing came up when I filtered for "blocked".

Hmm.  Strange.  I suggest saving your settings and doing a factory reset, followed by allowing youtube and seeing if the behavior persists.

    pluck export >saved-settings.txt
    pluck set "delay 0"
    pluck factoryreset
    pluck add "allow youtube.com"

Offline

#8 2020-01-16 03:35:05

Quenz
Member
Registered: 2020-01-13
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

jon wrote:

You can not view it.  I'm not interested in your personal information, but if you don't feel comfortable sending a sysinspect snapshot, you need not.

I'm sure you're not interested in my personal info, and I'd love to send the snapshot to help more, but I'm not comfortable sending a black box sort of file that I can't even see the contents of myself.

jon wrote:

Hmm.  Strange.  I suggest saving your settings and doing a factory reset, followed by allowing youtube and seeing if the behavior persists.

I've done this, no change in behavior. Again, nothing blocked in Pluckeye History.


lumber

Offline

#9 2020-01-16 04:51:35

jon
Administrator
Registered: 2017-01-10
Posts: 344

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

So, you can't want youtube videos with Pluckeye's factory default settings plus "allow youtube.com"?  That's quite odd.

Does it also reproduce if you disable all Firefox add-ons except Pluckeye?

If you disable Pluckeye in Firefox, do the videos then load?

You're the first to report this.  But https://forum.pluckeye.net/viewtopic.php?id=632, reported today, looks very similar.

Offline

#10 2020-01-16 23:15:22

Quenz
Member
Registered: 2020-01-13
Posts: 5

Re: [SOLVED] Allowed YouTube, but videos won't play in Firefox

The culprit was FoxyProxy Standard configured with my VPN's SOCKS5 proxy. My VPN was also running the regular way on my system. I was fooled because I assumed extension didn't have any effect on the browser in 'private windows' unless specifically allowed to, but this one did.

Edit: Thank you jon and RNYC for your patience and help troubleshooting! Muchly appreciated. smile

Last edited by Quenz (2020-01-16 23:17:07)


lumber

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB