A Pluckeye Forum

A place for Pluckeye users to chew the cud.

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-11 11:54:01

eclipsezero

[SOLVED] multi-user setup problems

System: Windows 7 Home

I have all the latest VCRedists. Installation itself throws up no errors.

I had a moment a few days ago where I got past Pluckeye(I will not say how unless you are Plujon, mkay?), which is, ok, things happen, I am figuring it out properly beyond just filters now.
But I figured, hey, might as well upgrade at last.

A thought process I have had about twice/thrice before, but this time it's more urgent after Firefox's add-on disabling fiasco.

I have tried doing this before but I always run into issues. I upgrade Firefox either to the latest ESR or the normal build, install the latest Pluckeye as normal and try setting things up...
It doesn't work. Hasn't before either.

I use a dual-settings system, one is shared between my admin account and my entertainment account, and the other one is exclusive to my 'study/exercise/resource' account.
Both utilize level 2 and NHB, with the difference being in apps allowed and sites.

I go ahead and import my settings as normal in either setup, and it seems to work, gives no error message, BUT
They don't actually seem imported. In both cases, even when the level is on 2 in the import.txt, the extension keeps showing level 1, and allows access to everything as if no settings have been changed.

When trying to change to level 2, a restart as requested by the extension gives me Pluckeye -1 on the extension page when it loads backup, and then resets to normal...remaining at level 1.

Exporting my settings shows that my import has seemingly worked, but apparently is just cosmetic.

I am fairly certain this is likely due to my own user error as well, but how do I fix this so I can just upgrade at last? Its not feasible for me to keep using Firefox 52 ESR going into 2020 I assume.
52 ESR and 93.0 work fine when I reinstall them back.

Would pluck unbork suffice? What does that do, exactly?

I know this is going to be a confusing one. I haven't given any details on my bypass itself, but if its still preferable to discuss this on reddit or over e-mail, let me know.

EDIT:
Could this be caused by trying to set level 2 while using a standard account? Will update this soon, but I am rechecking everything and my settings work fine at least on my admin account...will check and see what happens when I set my other accounts settings via admin.

This wasn't an issue before though, odd.

Last edited by eclipsezero (2019-05-11 12:16:39)

#2 2019-05-11 21:49:16

eclipsezero

Re: [SOLVED] multi-user setup problems

Ok, so
Using an admin account has no effect. To change my Study accounts settings I mean, which is a standard user acc.

Its the same as changing user Study's settings while logged into that account, when I export - the changes show up as normal in the text file, but they have no actual effect within Firefox.

Funny enough, my delay on the Study account shows as 10 seconds, same as my admin and my entertainment account(both of which are under 'user shared', the default Pluckeye settings file).
Which shouldn't happen because Study is set to 0 delay ATM.

Seriously, the forkin' heck is happenin' here?

EDIT:
The ProgramData Pluckeye folder - it contains three subfolders, -log-, -shared- and -v-.
Within -v- is is 95.9...
Is this where the issue lies? Because from what I can tell, apparently sometime after 93.0, all that's required is the -v- folder?

Last edited by eclipsezero (2019-05-11 21:56:43)

#3 2019-05-12 09:54:49

eclipsezero

Alright so, I ran unbork, factory reset both -shared- and -Studies-, uninstalled Pluckeye, and reinstalled it.

Still running into issues. In my admin acct(The one utilizing 'shared' settings alongside my entertainment user acct), I try setting up acct specific settings, like -
pluck user Studies
(which, is for my third acct, used for educational/productive purposes only)
(I may have made this a wee bit convoluted, my B)

And it gives me this:
pluck user Studies
001c:40: fe8ca6f9 SYS_ERROR 5
001c:67: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3001c029
010c:78: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3001c029

Send help or a groundhog day inducer so I can perpetually stay on Firefox 52 and never have to move on.

Last edited by eclipsezero (2019-05-12 09:56:06)

#4 2019-05-12 18:02:17

RNYC

The notes on the website (https://www.pluckeye.net/multiuser.html#sec-2) state:

Scenario 3: Peter and Susan both use Pluckeye at installation level 2
   1. Peter: Install Pluckeye, and leave at level 1 so that Susan can install Plucki.
   2. Susan: Install Plucki.
   3. Peter or Susan: Set Pluckeye to level 2 (in Firefox or Chrome or via `pluck set "level 2"`).

So did you leave your Admin account at Level 1 until you had the Studies account set up? I am unclear on that.

#5 2019-05-12 18:12:12

eclipsezero

It was left on level 1.
However, for getting Plucki itself, I had to do things a wee bit differently as I couldn't find it on the Firefox addons page, and the link on the multiuser page leads nowhere as well.

So - what I did was head into the Firefox folder in Users/%ADMIN%/Appdata/Roaming/Firefox, and copy the Extensions and SystemExtensions folder into the %Study% account, same location.
This gave me the box asking me if I wanted Plucki installed and so on.

I have often utilized this as a shortcut when tinkering or reinstalling Pluckeye for whatever reason, and in my experience has never led to any issues upto version 93.0.
However, I see later versions apparently remove legacy plucki extensions...but surely this couldn't cause the issues I am facing? As in, maybe the method I am using leads to leftover data...? Doesn't make sense why that would lead to problems with personal settings not getting utilized on another account.
In this case perhaps a new Firefox profile might help...I haven't reverted to Firefox 52 ESR yet, will edit this in a bit after I test this.

EDIT:
Ok...so that led nowhere as well.

The extension still never shows -Study- being on level 2 when I turn it on(even while -shared- settings remain on level 1), and while I can make changes via CMD, they are...basically cosmetic, cosmetic in the sense that they show up in my export, but have no actual effect.

I tried blocking a website via the extension, and got nothing as well.

So deleting the Firefox profile did nothing. Is this a permissions issue? That's one of the only things making any sense since the ProgramData Pluckeye internal structure seems to have changed, the file/folder tree I mean, not the best with jargon here.

Also to speed things up, I import my settings at times, and....well.

pluck import %HOMEPATH%\Desktop\backupj.txt
011b:350: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3011b0d9
011b:369: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3011b0d9
011b:377: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3011b0d9
011b:401: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3011b0d9
011b:411: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3011b0d9

EDIT2:
Ok, apparently blocking/allowing via the extension still does have a cosmetic effect and shows up in my exported settings file.
Gonna try a restart once. Maybe that somehow causes the settings to properly kick in.

EDIT3:
Nope. Zilch. Nada. Exported files shows my personal settings for Study, but said settings aren't applied and I can access the whole wide web sans images/videos(I have "Block" added to my settings, only a few sites should be allowed).
Gonna go recheck my admin account because this is more convoluted than A Song of Ice and Fire in my head now and I just want to make sure that at least is working.

EDIT4:
Yep. Shared settings seem ok.
And I had almost forgotten about the other fun problem. The minute I put my shared settings on level 2, and put on a delay?
Yeah, -Study- settings show that on its extension window(or did occasionally, not for this particular instance tho). In fact, the internet stops working outright on Study. And this time, my extension on the Study account actually just had everything blank and unselected, delay? No number. Level? Nothing selected.

All I can think of is that either there's a permissions snafu happening, or that somehow my -shared- and -Study- settings have their wires crossed, with shared controlling the flow and Study literally being for display.
Study, you were not meant to be my puppet president, you actually are supposed to have powers, PLS JUST WORK MANG.

Gonna hit the hay for about 8 hours. I have no clue how to fix this, and will likely just revert to P93/FF52 in the morning.
If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions, please do share, will try em come morning. I would love to keep up with all these security updates both on FF and Pluckeye @_@

Last edited by eclipsezero (2019-05-12 19:16:12)

#6 2019-05-13 03:58:38

eclipsezero

welp, switching back it is.
EDIT:
Realized I hadn't tried the sysinspect thing. Done. Hopefully it sheds some light...

Last edited by eclipsezero (2019-05-13 07:30:21)

#7 2019-05-13 23:43:42

jon
Administrator

It's a bug!

And it was introduced in v0.94.0.

The bug found and fixed in development.  The next version of Pluckeye will contain the fix.

In v0.93.0, or in the next Pluckeye, the following should work:

1. Make all users you care about Administrators.
2. Install Pluckeye as each user.  Do not yet give each user their own settings, and keep Pluckeye at level 1.
3. Optionally change some users to Standard accounts.
4. As an Administrator, set Pluckeye to level 2.
5. As other users, create user-specific settings as desired.E.g.,

pluck user Studies init

#8 2019-05-19 13:10:06

eclipsezero

Took me a bloody long time to get to this, sorry.
I gave it a shot and...didn't work.

pluck user Studies init
001c:40: fe8ca6f9 SYS_ERROR 5
010c:78: fe8ca6f9 WARNING 0x3001c029

Same problem as before. Try changing settings, no effect unless on admin(and changing admin's own settings, so shared settings), but changes show up in the exported settings file, while having no effect.

I followed the steps exactly as described above. The fix doesn't work for me unfortunately.

I am going to try once more, but this time keep all accounts on admin, set level 2, initialize their individual settings and THEN try downgrading them to standard users.
Also once more with initializing settings and then individually setting level 2, and then downgrading to standard and seeing if I can modify settings.

#9 2019-05-19 13:36:53

eclipsezero

Alright, second try.

Uninstalled Pluckeye. Deleted ProgramData folder.
Updated all users to Admin.
Restarted computer.
Reinstalled Pluckeye in each individual account.
Restarted computer.

Keeping every user on admin, I logged into Studies and tried to initialize its settings.
pluck user Studies init

And I got hit by the same error as in the above post. Not a value out of place.
Google tells me this is either a permissions issue or a elevated command prompt need.
So I took an elevated command prompt. Nope, still doesn't work. Changes show up in text file. Do not take actual effect.

And this is all on an admin account.

I have no clue WTH to do at this point. (Moreover this tells me the problem might be unrelated to account types. Something else entirely is borked.)

Jon, if you haven't already, please take a gander at the sys-inspect file I sent you.

EDIT:
I also checked if the installation file needed to be unblocked. It did, so I did that, and redid all the steps/tests.
Nada, no change. Same errors.

EDIT2:
Reverted back to 52/93. Firefox has finally released their hotfix for older FF versions.
Interestingly enough, I got those command errors when setting up Pluck user Studies, but the difference I can still actually change settings and whatnot...and it all works...
I honestly wish there was a solution to this, and I can't help but wonder if I borked something myself, but beyond sending you guys the sysinspect, I am not sure what data I can provide.

It's like this particular instance of a Pluckeye upgrade decided to behave like an abstract painting in my computer, an abstract made by a panicked intern for their boss who decided to go an unannounced vacation without finishing the work for their gallery opening, while installing as beautiful prose in all other machines.

Last edited by eclipsezero (2019-05-19 14:35:29)

#10 2019-05-21 16:11:13

jon
Administrator

I verified that on Windows 10, the following works.

With 2 users: admin and billy.

1. As admin, make billy an administrator.
2. As admin, install Pluckeye

pluckeye-windows-0.93.0.exe

3. Log in as billy, install Pluckeye

pluckeye-windows-0.93.0.exe

4. Log out as billy.
5. As admin

pluck set "level 2"

6. Log in as billy.
7. As billy, initialize per-user settings (should complete without warnings)

pluck user billy init

8. As billy,

pluck add "block youtube.com"

9. As billy, https://youtube.com/ is now blocked.
10. As admin, https://youtube.com/ is not blocked.

#11 2019-05-28 06:51:55

eclipsezero

Hmm, maybe it's a Windows 7 thing, or something borked with my installation.

I am unwilling to test this again at the moment, it's been a grueling month and I haven't done very well at staying relapse-free, so for now, I need to stick with what works...
I will try the steps above again either around the end of July, or...well, I am not sure, but I need to plan it out to ensure I can do so healthily without screwing up.

Going to see if I can't just reinstall everything in my machine as well. Seeing the permissions thing that keeps cropping up makes me think it might be an OS issue, or hell...maybe BIOS related? I think there's an option in my BIOS that acts similarly to a Windows setting, meant for security, it could be screwing with Pluckeye's installation now that I think of it, will need to check that later.
I think it was a redundant feature that I disabled though, as it was interfering with other things as well, so I doubt that's the case.

Anyways, will try later and post in this topic again at that point.

Please let me know in advance what details will be helpful in diagnosing this beyond what's in the pinned posts, and sys-inspect(I will send one at that point again). I will make sure I follow those steps then...

And thank you so much for trying, the issue may be unresolved, but it was easier trying to troubleshoot with input ^^

#12 2019-05-28 16:42:49

jon
Administrator

I use a dual-settings system, one is shared between my admin account and my entertainment account, and the other one is exclusive to my 'study/exercise/resource' account.
Both utilize level 2 and NHB, with the difference being in apps allowed and sites.

The shared settings should probably be more restrictive than the per-user settings.

pluck user fun init
pluck user fun "add allow youtube.com"

#13 2019-06-11 16:28:08

jon
Administrator

jon wrote:

It's a bug!

And it was introduced in v0.94.0.

The bug found and fixed in development.  The next version of Pluckeye will contain the fix.

Should be fixed on v0.96.2: http://www.pluckeye.net/wave/asap/notes.html.

#14 2019-08-30 18:29:26

eclipsezero

Hey, just wanted to say I tried it again and it still didn't work. I tried 0.97 specifically. Did I jump the gun by doing that?

Will try again in a couple of months. TBH I am considering dropping multi-user and just setting up a hyper-scheduled system which gives me the best of both worlds.
These shenanigans shouldn't be an issue then, I hope. Will update whenever I try again.

Board footer